Questo post è disponibile anche in: Italian
1616Producers’ associations ask Brussels for a clear legal framework, in view of EU proposals on circular economy.
Europe calls, industry answers. EUROPEN and other 28 associations representing manufacturers of consumer goods, packaging or dealing with extended producer responsibility, have announced a series of joint recommendations for the proposals on circular economy that the European Union should make known by the end of 2015.
Organizations ask for a long-term strategic European framework which encourages economies of scale and includes value chains at all levels, from a perspective that includes the entire life cycle.
“For the EU announced proposals on environment and growth – said Martin Reynolds, president of EUROPEN – we ask for a holistic approach that recognizes the key role of packaging in optimising resources, minimising waste and protecting products”.
Here, briefly, main recommendations from the industrial world:
- ensure free circulation of packaging and packaged goods within the EU market
- ensure full implementation of existing EU laws
- strengthen the European legislative framework for the extended responsibility of the producer in the packaging industry
- establish a clear, comparable and harmonious calculation method to determine recycling quotas of packagings
- establish realistic and achievable recycling targets
- ensure that packaging materials are not dumped